Friday 9 August 2024

RPGaDAY: Day Ten: RPG you'd like to see on TV

Day Ten: RPG you'd like to see on TV

Well, this could have several different meanings.  RPG portrayed on TV, RPG played via TV or TV drama based on the world of an RPG.

RPGs Portrayed on TV
I understand that the series Stranger Things featured D&D being played by the characters. WotC have done a starter set based around the adventure played (and also a Rick and Morty set). ET did the same on film decades earlier.  
Undoubtedly this brings people in to the hobby, but there is a history of portraying it in a negative light.

Drama set in an RPG World 
I recently watched Hono(u)r Among Thieves, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. It told a reasonable story, and it was fun spotting Easter Eggs. But was it an RPG? If it had been a TV drama, we would simply say it was a drama set in the Forgotten Realms. There were no points at which the audience were able to control the action, the roles were all pre-determined. 
There are several D&D films (unfortunately, if you've seen some of the earlier ones), but I'm not aware of any RPG background used in a TV drama.
I'd say that this category is fine, but simply borrows background from an RPG.  
As with the first category, it works to bring people in to the hobby, indeed, my current online campaign has one player who joined after seeing the film.

RPG played via TV
I've also seen a few roleplay livestreams and play sessions. Though I do find I can't watch them long term.  Here, at least, the players get to make meaningful decisions, but I can't see these ever really taking off enough to be mainstream viewing. That said, perhaps they also serve to bring new players into the hobby?

Digression
UK TV has featured at least three programmes based around the idea of contestants taking part in something close to an RPG.  Most readers will have heard of The Adventure Game and The Crystal Maze, both featuring mental and physical puzzles, but have you heard of Knightmare?
Knightmare was a kid's show where one of a team of four wore a helm that blocked vision. The rest of the team watched the 'bold adventurer' and guided them through puzzles and traps and interacted with NPCs. If you want to know more, check out the Wikipedia page.

But I digress; my vote would go to more TV dramas presenting roleplaying as a normal leisure activity.  It doesn't even have to be particularly relevant to the plot (as it was in Stranger Things), simply having it seen as a background activity is fine.
Too often in the past it's been an easy target for mockery. I'm not bothered which game, though a well known one would be most likely (let's face it - D&D), but as RPGs are becoming mainstream, it's time to represent this in the media.

**EDIT** just to be clear, I'm not advocating for TV broadcasts of live play RPGs, but the inclusion of RPGs in mainstream TV dramas where they are presented as normal activities that ordinary people play as part of their lives.
Let's ditch the common, lazy default of RPGs being a fringe activity indulged in by weird geeky social misfits.






2 comments:

  1. Some interesting thoughts here. I really enjoyed the Honour Amongst Thieves film but the viewer did not really need any knowledge or understanding of role playing games. However, I am not sure I would ever sit and watch people playing DnD on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I didn't explain myself well.
      I meant having people playing D&D depicted as a normal activity just like playing music, watching TV or similar.
      Simply recognising that it's a normal activity, not something weird to make fun of.

      Delete