Sunday 18 August 2024

RPGaDAY: Day 19: Sensational Session

Day 19: Sensational Session

For fairness I'm nominating two here. One that I've run and one that I played in.
Of course, I'll ramble around the topic as well.

Probably the most sensational session I ever played in was a D&D adventure that one of my first DMs ran for a group of us.
The Kirklees Military Modelling and Gaming Society was where I first played any roleplaying games. There were two DMs who took it in turns for our group, but after a while Jonny moved away with his family.
He invited us over to play an adventure he'd devised, so four of us travelled by train to Lytham for the weekend. 
We pretty much just gamed, ate and slept, but by the end we'd fought our way through the temple and defeated the lich. It was so close at the end that Jonny's mum drove us to the next station so we'd get a crucial extra twenty minutes.
Technically, I suppose this was several sessions, but it all flowed together so well that it seemed like one mammoth one.
Honestly, I don't now remember too many of the details, but the sense of sheer fun was immense.


I'm lucky enough to be able to share my hobby with my kids, and sessions played with them are always special.  But for a session where the gaming itself was sensational, I'm once again going back to the 4E campaign. 

On reaching Paragon Tier (11th to 20th level) the characters were all rewarded by being made Lords or Ladies and several were given grants of land. 
Grim had picked up on one of the underlying themes of Heroic Tier, a land struggling with it's identity and with different factions with often conflicting goals. He suggested to me that organising a grand fair on the frozen lake north of Threshold might help bring the people together. Between us we roughed it out, then next session the whole party pitched in with suggestions for what their characters could bring to the event.
The session I'm nominating is the next one, where we ran a timetable of events with the characters responding to various problems and threats (including traditional animosity between dwarves and elves, a vampire seeking victims and a missing child). There were also competitions to judge events to organise (and take part in) and just generally making sure things went smoothly.
Amazing fun for all of us, and it was a delight to see the players so engaged in a (largely) non violent activity that cost them quite a lot of gold.
Despite their good work bringing the community together, shortly after they all got arrested, as recounted yesterday. Still, that's the breaks when you're an adventurer.




No comments:

Post a Comment