Friday 19 February 2021

Reaper Bones 77563 Undead Elf Archer - Palette Cleanser 4

I should apologise to Merlin/Bodvoc; I mentioned last post that I was painting an elf next, well, he is an elf, but an undead one.  This mini is from a set of undead adventurers.  I've already painted the 'dragon man' here, the others include a halfling and a dwarf.



The painting was fairly straightforward.  The cloak was base coated with VEO Heavy Blackgreen, the tunic in VGC Goblin Green, and the bones in VGC Bone White.

I used Vallejo Game Ink Green Black mixed with VGI Green to wash the cloak, and just the green to shade the tunic.  The bones were washed with Army Painter Strongtone wash.

The base colours were reset, then highlighted by adding lighter shades into the base colour.  Other colours, such as the grey leathers, were simply base coated then highlighted. 

I gave the whole mini a drybrush of VGC Earth to dirty it up a bit.  I avoided going to grungy but I wanted him to look as though he'd picked up a fair bit of grime after death.  If/when I try weathering powders he would be ideal for some extra mud.

I'm pleased with the end result, but I feel I was kind of caught between going full on undead grunge and his origins as an elf, a creature of light and brightness.

As with all the Palette Cleansers, I have no particular plans for this mini.  Having finished him I'm wondering about painting the rest of the set as an undead adventuring party for Fistful of Lead, but I'm making no promises. Anyway, he's done now, and so on to another mini project.

7 comments:

  1. I reckon your elf is DEAD good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wondered what to call him.

      Delete
    2. Emyn Lockharn the First, given the number of times I've killed him.

      Delete
  2. Looks good! I particularly like the two green colours you've achieved on the robes and cloak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I went for the traditional elf in green to emphasise that he had been an elf.

      Delete
    2. I still wonder if he should look scruffier though, it might be time to experiment with weathering powders.

      Delete