Thursday 4 March 2021

Reaper Bones Dwarven Cleric - Palette Cleanser 5

 My next Bones Palette Cleanser was not picked up at random, she had been lying around on a windowsill for ages, and I though it was time I did something.

I didn't have any particular plans when painting this mini, but I had some vague ideas.  In my D&D campaign world there are three main gods, or Powers, who represent the Sun. the Land and the Ocean.  I decided she would be a cleric of the Land, but in the aspect of growing things rather than the more obviously dwarven aspect of Earth and Mining etc. So I chose a nice verdant green for the tunic, and some gold detailing.  The tunic was a base of Vallejo Extra Opaque Heavy Green, highlighted up through VGC Sick Green and VGC Goblin Green.  The fur 'skirt' was basecoated VGC Khaki, washed with Army Painter Strongtone, and highlighted up with Khaki and VGC Bonewhite.  The rest of the colours should be pretty obvious, though I gave the hammer head a blue wash to make it look more magical, and to help the runes stand out more.  The blue tint doesn't show too well on the photos, but it adds a subtle touch.  The hair was VMC Mahogany, washed with AP Fleshwash then highlighted by mixing a little VGC Beasty Brown in with the base colour.  I'm pleased with how the flask at her belt came out, I had planned to paint it bottle green, but I thought a bit of read would add interest to the mini.






Another fun mini, and one that will be useful in D&D, and probably in the up and coming fantasy version of Fistful of Lead too, and all dwarven team sounds fun (if slow).
I did think that the face, to me, comes across as more halfling than dwarf.  Perhaps its the smile and the rosy cheeks, or maybe simply the lack of beard.  Anyway, still a nice mini.

I'm using something new for the background, a couple of cork mats rather than the garish cutting boards I used previously.  I think it is an improvement, but please let me know what you think in the comments.


4 comments:

  1. I like the cleric, really nice figure and a great paint job. The tiles seem to work well for a background for painted figures.
    Where did you get the term 'palette cleanser from as I had not heard of it before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A palate cleanser is a small dish between larger courses designed to refresh the taste buds.
      These are intended to refresh my painting mojo,as well as reducing my vast collection of unpainted Bones, I'm supposed to clean my palette as well, so, Palette Cleanser.

      Delete
  2. I see, is this your own variant of the meaning or do other gamers use it too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know it's mine, though you're welcome to use it of course.

      Delete