Thursday 11 March 2021

Building Tatooine in 20mm

If you've seen my 20mm Imperial force here you'll know I aim to be playing some games set in the Star Wars universe. Both Bodvoc and I felt Tatooine was the best setting to begin with, especially since I have some Sandpeople and some Jawas (though Jawas crop up on several other worlds apparently).
There is some nice terrain available for the Star Wars:Legion game, but of course its far too big for our purposes. Some of the 3D printed stuff looks great, (check out the Imperial Terrain Desert World stuff), and I suppose it could be scaled down, but I don't have a 3D printer.  I can use it as inspiration for building my own terrain though. There are also quite a few you tube videos and blog posts which make simple Tatooine buildings, mostly for Legion, so taking a little break from my schedule of mini projects and Palette Cleansers, I decided to have a go.

For the first build, I started small and generic. I used half a 40mm diameter polystyrene ball and some XPS. All the cutting was done using a Proxxon and my new Guider Pro.

I used the singly based Imperial Officer, henceforth known as Moff Forescale, as a guide for the height and width of the door. 
The door frame is a bit wonky as I added it late on in the construction so simply bent a thin strip of XPS, rather than cutting it to fit. 
The door was simply thin card cut to fit, then with more panels added, and finally a frame.
After a coat of mod podge it was textured with a mix of filler (spackle), PVA glue and a small amount of sand. Then painted using a mix of match pot emulsion, craft paints and hobby paints.
To make it look a bit more 'Star Wars' I added panels of card and some wire as some sort of pipe.


Pleased with this I went on to make another building, being a little bit more ambitions this time.

The second building was inspired by one of the buildings at Tosche Station. I found a cutaway diagram of the site on Wookiepedia and used that as a basis. I had some card tube from the inside of a roll of kitchen foil that I used for the vaulted roof, this sort of set the dimensions for the rest of the build. Comparing it to better images I realise it's too long, and the walls are vertical, not sloped (I misinterpreted the perspective on the first image). Never mind, I still think it looks OK for Tatooine.



A final bit of scatter terrain is a pile of crates. Simply blocks of XPS cut to size, each crate is a 10mm cube, then the distinctive patterning is cut in with a craft knife, then deepened with a pencil. The circle in the centre of each side is from the inside of a pen.

My 20mm Tatooine terrain so far

I've already got more buildings underway, and I'm experimenting with more complex designs.  FfoL is played on a suggested three foot square table.  If we scale down to two foot, then we want enough terrain to cover at least 25% of that, i.e. 1 square foot.

These have been excellent practice for larger terrain for the 28mm scale minis as well.  I'll definitely want plenty of those.

4 comments:

  1. Those buildings are looking great, we will have a sizeable settlement between us soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, indeed we will. They were great fun to build, I'll definitely make more.

      Delete
  2. They really look the part. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, wait until you see the next batch.

      Delete