Sunday 7 March 2021

Even More Space Orcs

 I've finished another batch of Space Orks. I've certainly got enough for a crew for Fistful of Lead/Galactic Heroes. That said, there are a few more minis I'd like to get painted to give me more options.

Most of these minis were already built, and some I'd begun painting.  Some of these are the orks from the Black Reach starter set, they are simpler minis, coming in only three pieces, but fit in fine among the multi-part kits. There were a few I built from scratch though; the rocket launcher and the chainsword wielder particularly.   In Grimdark Future, one orc per unit can swap its close combat weapon for an 'ultra sawblade', so I thought a chainsword sounded appropriate.  I also chose a head with a skull trophy for this orc, so it could be the unit leader if required, at least until I paint some more of the 'Nobs'.

The painting process was pretty much the same as the last two batches.






After the usual varnishing process I experimented with applying a coat of silk varnish to the various metal bits and the helmets.  It doesn't show up well on the photographs, but is an interesting effect.
When I talk about part-painted, this is what it looks like.

I'm glad I got these done, it completes a second GF unit, with a special weapon option.  So now I have a leader and two units of warriors, with the option to include a special or heavy weapon in each unit.  I may take a break from Space Orcs for a while, though as I said, there are a few more I'd like to add.  I think in future I'll paint these mostly in batches of eleven, that way I'm doing a full unit of ten plus an optional special weapon.

The Space Orcs so far.

I do aim to paint more of these, and I'm looking forward to getting on to some vehicles.  Whether I'll use them for anything is a different matter, but it'll be good to have finally painted that long ago gift.

Next up another Palette Cleanser, but I've also been making some terrain, which I'll post soon, once it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment