Monday 14 May 2018

More D&D Monsters

A quick diversion from the 15mm historicals today.  I've finally completed some more Reaper Bones minis for my ever growing D&D collection.  You may have seen some of the Undead from the collection, and I started some goblins a while back (they are nearly finished, honest).  The latest additions are hobgoblins.

These are from the Reaper Bones III kickstarter, the Hobgobagedon set.  I got several of these as I thought a good handful of troops would be useful in encounters.  The set came with two troopers, including rather nicely a female hobgoblin, and two leader types.  I have since increased the unpainted collection with a couple of packs of the troopers, more on those later.

Troopers, nicely armed and armoured.


Leaders, probably the hobgoblin king and one of his captains.


A bonus wraith, again a Reaper Bones mini that I just picked out of the pile as it looked fun to paint (it was).

All four of these minis have been lurking almost finished for quite a while.  The delay was largely due to me misplacing my clear bases.  Eventually I gave in and ordered some more from Green Stuff World (though many other sellers stock them), after all, when I find the others I have plenty more minis to base.
I really enjoyed painting these, both goblinoids and undead. I'm particularly pleased with the orange skin tone of the hobgoblins; very old school.
I did spend rather too long on them, multiple shading and highlighting layers, rather than my usual wash and highlight method.  The problem is that it kind of means that the rest of the hobgoblins will need a similar amount of attention.
The hobgoblin minis are very nicely done.  The equipment matched the Monster Manual pretty well, and the addition of a female trooper is excellent.  Given how long it has taken me to get these painted, I should have got fewer sets in the Kickstarter, as the leaders are less useful in multiples.  i may be able to convert a couple though.  It's a lesson to bear in mind for my Bones IV pledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment