Monday 13 July 2020

How I Paint Mantic Kings of War Orcs - Part 1, Assembly

At T'other One's suggestion, here's a step by step guide to how I paint my orcs. Since he requested it I chose his favourite unit, a troop of skulks.
I'll split the process over several posts, beginning with assembly and undercoating.

I built the eight orcs using two of the Ax sprues and one Greatax sprue.  I used some of the metal components left over from the previous skulks (as seen here) and added more bows from Mantic's plastic goblin sniffs sprue.  When I built the last troop, and when I did the Morax, I struggled to find sufficient left arms that weren't holding a shield, but I remembered I have a lot (and I mean a lot) of the Warpath orcs, I was sure they wouldn't have shields, and a quick check revealed that they included a left arm with a rather impressive knife and another that just ended in a stump (designed to have any one of several SciFi type bits attached).  Ideal to add a bit of variety to the skulks.
As before I have added greenstuff fur 'capes' to conceal some of the joins and also to cover up some of the bulky armour shoulder pads.  I trimmed some of the armour plates down a bit as well, especially if they had extravagant ornamentation, and shaved off the fancy decoration on the breastplates of the Greatax orcs so they would look better as leather armour.  Just like the last troop, I added an arrow made from wire to the right hand of one of the orcs.
Note that the orcs are just pushed into the square bases to make it easier to handle them, and when it comes to painting, I'll add some bigger temporary bases to hold on to.




Once the greenstuff was cured I gave them all an undercoat of Vallejo German Green Brown surface primer (RAL 8000).  This stuff is designed to be sprayed through an airbrush, but for small numbers of minis it works just fine brushed on.




Next up, part 2, basecoats, is here.


2 comments:

  1. My "favourites". Thankew sooo much. ;)

    Good guide though. Impressive greenstuff work.

    Try as I might, I always find greenstuff a pain to work with and personally prefer Milliput. I think I may be the only person on the planet who feels this way!

    -The Other One

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Hopefully you will meet them on the battlefield eventually.
    Greenstuff vs Milliput. Both have their strengths. I personally find milliput easier to apply, but I feel greenstuff can take detail better, not that I can claim to any great skill at sculpting.

    ReplyDelete