Thursday 11 June 2020

Fighting Apathy 3 - Mantic Kings of War Orcs - Planning and Skulks

As I mentioned previously, I'm trying a new project in the hopes that I can break out of my current hobby slump, this is my current idea.

I've long wanted a box containing rules, two armies, a bit of terrain and dice. Everything to just lend to interested people to start them playing.

When I was a Mantic Pathfinder I had a painted starter set of Dwarves and Undead. The dwarves are fine; solid and dependable troops, but the undead aren't the easiest army to learn to play with, and besides I prefer Orcs.  Perhaps a dwarf and orc starter set would be better?
When Mantic released a free set of Kings of War rules, complete with two sample armies, I was delighted to find they were Orcs and Dwarves.  This was clearly A Sign.

I was originally just going to raid my existing orcs, which contain nearly all the models I would need, and add a couple of units to the starter set dwarves. However, my existing skulks are actually GW Lord of the Rings orcs, and ideally for this project both armies would be all Mantic models.
While browsing eBay for skulks I 'accidentally' ended up with some Mantic orc bargains. Now I had more than enough to do all the orcs from scratch if I wanted, with the advantage that if the dreaded apathy hits again, I can just go back to my initial plan to raid my existing army.

The sample orc army consists of a regiment of ax, a regiment of gore riders, a regiment of trolls, a troop of skulks, a troop of morax and a Krudger. I'm starting with the skulks as they are the one unit I really want that isn't in my existing army.

The Mantic skulk box contains ten plastic orc infantry with sufficient metal parts to add bows and quivers to each one. Some have additional arms drawing the bow, and there are also some heads with hoods, the plastic infantry mostly have helmets.

Now I'm a Yorkshire man, so I wondered if I could spin the one box out to make more skulks in the future. I've already decided that the orcs will be reduced model count units, I'm aiming for troops of 8 infantry. I then looked for potential donors for extra bows as I was thinking about building four skulks straight from the box and supplement them with four ordinary orcs just with bows on their backs.
An obvious source of bows is Mantic's goblin sprue. The goblin bows are smaller than the metal skulk bows, but not hugely so. Checking the rules I see that skulks now have short bows, so I'm happy with the goblin bows. In most cases I cut the goblin bow off including the hand to make it easier to attach to the orc.
I also noticed that skulks are De 3+. Orc axes are De 5+. Leaving off the shields will make them look closer to De 3+, but I'll also paint some of the many armour plates to look like leather armour.
In the end I spread the metal bits around the models and greenstuffed some fur on some of them to make them look more like hunters, and to cover up some of the shoulders where I'd removed some of the armoured pauldrons.

The paint job was quite straightforward. I used my 'basecoat, highlight and wash' method, with an extra black wash on both the metal and armour before highlighting. I also used three slightly different green skin tones in line with how I am now approaching orcs and goblins.
The troop is still to be based, I'm waiting for some MDF to be delivered to make bases from.  I'll base all the orcs at once, and I have had a few ideas how I want to do this.  I'll do a post showing this when the time comes.

I think this is my favourite skulk, I like the almost diffident way he holds his bow. He has a metal quiver and head from the skulk box, the bow is from the Mantic goblin sprue

Another skulk with a metal head, the arrow is scratchbuilt and he holds another goblin bow

The skulk leader holds yet another goblin bow. Note the claws of whatever beast the furs came from.

Group shot from above showing the fur 'capes'

The full troop of skulks

I'm pleased with the results. I think I've managed to get the skulks looking distinctive. The choice of just eight minis meant I could get everything done before I lost the impetus. Given that I can get away with eight infantry for a troop I think I'll chunk the rest of the orcs similarly.

EDIT You can finally see them based up here.


4 comments:

  1. I look forward to meeting them, and also to see how you base them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, my 'favourite' unit... - The Other One

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you always seem to enjoy meeting them.

      Delete