Sunday 21 July 2024

The Severed Hand Progress

A short while ago I mentioned that I'd painted half the infantry for the Severed Hand tribe. Now I've finished half of the remaining minis, so three quarters of the way there.
These are a mixed bunch of command, spear armed orcs and sword or axe armed orcs and will bulk out existing units.
Another eight Severed Hand orcs

Grashak Kra or C15 (85 - 04)
This Perry Twins C15 Orc is named 'Warlord' in the catalogues, though his tab demotes him to Orc Officer.  To me he will always be Grashak Kra.


Grashak Kra is an independent hero and leads a pack of 'hobhounds'. I've still to decide exactly what I'll use for these, but I've got a few ideas. 
I gave him a colourful crest to his helmet, I may go back and add a little black lining to help it stand out.  He's wearing a tunic of the yellow and black fabric that a lot of his tribe wear.  I'll use this as a uniform when I come to paint some of the Good Force.

The Rhythm Section, ORC1 (C - 01) 
Drummer with hood is a Kev Adams mini from the command packs, he provides an important musical accompaniment for the unit, or at least a steady beat. 
He is one of three variant drummers, and there are also three gong players, such as Luglud, who I painted here.
Check out those feet nailed to the drum

A fun touch is the drum skin. If you look closely you can see a face at the front and feet at the back. He's used the flayed skin of a victim. A nice accompaniment to the quivers here.


Orc with axe and 0502/15, Kroglod Cleaver
I can't find an exact identification for the orc with the axe and helmet, but he looks like a variant of 0502/08, Hurt, in which case these are both Kev Adams sculpts.

They'll fill out the hand weapon armed unit here. I'm looking for a few more orcs with two handed weapons to eventually form their own unit. If they don't have shields, they can be part of any of the tribes. 

0502/09 Orbid and BDD" (09) Orc
Orbid is another Kev Adams orc, I don't know who sculpted the other orc.  
They are both destined to join the rest of the orc spears here.


When I started painting Orbid, I thought he was the same mini as Gubbut the Armpit. But he's a variant sculpt. I chose a paint scheme as different as possible, thinking they were the same. Now I rather wish I'd painted them as similar as possible, so that the differences in the models might stand out more.

Orbid and Gubbut

The other orc comes from the Dungeon Monsters box, back when GW produced official minis for D&D/AD&D.  While they didn't keep the old pig face design, the shield shape and hood are clearly based on the original AD&D Monster Manual illustration.


I thought the hood was like the traditional Hollywood version of a jester, so I painted it in bright colours.

4709/44 Spear 15 and ORC5 (10) Chopit
The imaginatively named Spear 15 is by Kev Adams, and Chopit is a Trish Carden Orc Villager (I've also seen him referred to online as 'burglar').


Spear 15 will join the rest of the spear orcs, while the villager will join the hand weapon orcs. Eventually Spear 15 may join in the two handed weapon unit, as he looks to be wielding a halberd. The villager is currently a filler while I paint more orcs.

A Unit of Spears
I now have ten spear armed orcs, enough for a unit (if I'm playing Dragon Rampant, I'll add a couple of villagers to bulk it up to twelve). 

Looking Ahead
Just eight more Severed Hand orcs to paint.  Plus ten hobhounds, once I've decided what to use.  Hopefully I'll get the rest of infantry finished soon-ish, in fact they are already on the painting table, primed, and ready for the metals.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent progress, the orcs look wonderful and it sounds like you have had fun seeking them all out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Yes, you're right. I've had a lot of fun hunting down the minis. Looking at eBay lots and seeing if any fit my plan, doing swaps with friends, and trading on Facebook groups (I'm currently working out a trade with someone in Australia)!

      Delete
  2. Lovely minis and great painting too! Love the details on the drum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Yes, the little details are great. As I've said before, Citadel orcs used to be comical but grim.

      Delete
  3. god love these oldhammer orcs.
    should find the ones i have (somewhere) and send them to u. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they've loads of character.
      I should paint a modern orc sometime, just for comparison.
      Any extra orcs are always welcome 😸

      Delete