Tuesday 18 June 2024

Oldhammer Orc Spears

I've finished another unit for my orcs, this time six spear armed orcs. 

Spear Carriers
They are a mixed bunch, two Marauder orcs (ORC 03 and ORC 22), two C15 orcs (Shield Bearer and Nazram) and two ORC 1 Polearms (PA-01 Gubbut the Armpit and PA-12 Lampost Nagblade).

Painting is my standard orc method, and once again I gave them looted shields and tunics. The black and yellow tunic, seen on an archer here, makes a reappearance, as does the Severed Hand on all the shields. They will fit in my Orc's Drift project as part of the Severed Hand tribe, but it makes a great shield design anyway.  My aim is to return to specific shield designs and equipment across my orcs, you should be able to spot some of them already.  I'll then use these when I paint various elves, dwarves etc, or borrow other painter's designs, as I have already done with a few from Bodvoc.

ORC 22 in Plate w. Spear

ORC 03 w. Spear & Shield, Barefoot

ORC1 (PA-01) Gubbut the Armpit

ORC1 (PA-12) Lampost Nagblade

C15 (85-01) Shield Bearer / Spear Man

C15 (85-12) Nazram, Javelin

These were great fun to paint, and nicely divide into three types. The early C15 orcs sculpted by the Perry twins, Kev Adams' later ORC1 chaps and the Marauder Miniatures, all with slightly different styling, which fits my image of them as a ragtag bunch of raiders, but all obviously orcs. This is my main issue with the Fantasy Regiments orcs, seen here. Great minis simply oozing nostalgia, but too regimented when compared to these.

Unit Sizing and Future Planning
If you're wondering why the orc units are various sizes, it's either all I have of any particular type, as with these spear armed orcs, or a sensible subdivision of this, as with the five archers. As I'm slowly increasing my collection, I will revisit them and bulk them out. Indeed I already have a few more to add to the spears and more archers too.



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful orcs, they are going to look great on the gaming table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they were fun to paint, and I feel like I'm starting to get a decent orc force painted.

      Delete
  2. these look nice man, nice job!!
    so gonna ask a dumb question, i played 5th ed. fantasy warhammer where there was regiment block, was older fantasy versions like skirmish? i've seen older pics of old hammer where they had round bases instead of squared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm loving painting orcs at the moment.
      As for questions, ask away.
      Warhammer has always used square bases. If you played fifth edition, they are pretty much the same, though some of the larger creatures may have got bigger bases.
      Earlier editions did have more of a skirmish feel though, with a focus on individuals storyline that seemed to vanish by fourth edition.
      I think there was mention in the introduction for second edition of round bases, but they weren't recommended.
      I've chosen round bases as originally I planned to use Dragon Rampant, and I always think that round suits skirmish better than square (just my opinion).
      Hope this helps.

      Delete