Thursday 13 June 2024

More Plastic Orcs

As part of the Grand Clear Out I found a bag of plastic orcs, many of them already painted. These are a mix of the monopose orcs which came with an archer on the sprue plus shield (fifth edition?), and the orcs from Battle Masters*. You can just about see them in action at Kachas Pass here.

Rebased orcs

I'm pleased with the shields. I think I used a pen for the thin black lines. I might try this to neaten up the red skulls on the Big'uns shields.
I'm surprised to see different skin tones, I don't remember doing this so long ago, it might just be the result of painting in batches and grabbing a different green?

And as I found them

Planning to paint 
Well, perhaps not, or at least, not yet. The troops are good enough for now, and being individually based, I can go back and touch up the painting later. 
So all I've done is rebase them on 25mm rounds and painted the bases VMC Burnt Umber.  I'll hold off on the texture until I've done any paint touch up work.
For relatively little effort I've got another unit.

These orcs are quite a bit more modern looking that the Fantasy Regiments orcs here.  I do like them, but not as much as the earlier orcs. I find they look too cartoony for my taste - Citadel Orcs were often grimly comical, but these lean too much into the comical and not enough grim.  Still, another unit for the Orc force. I'm not sure where they'll fit in the Orc's Drift project, the shields don't really match any of the three tribes. I could repaint the shields, but I rather like them.  Perhaps just an allied tribe?

I also found one of the metal command minis, the standard bearer (5235/3), but he was unpainted.  I'll get him done and added to the unit soon.  The other command (musician and leader) do crop up from time to time on evilbay, but I'm loath to spend money on a unit that I'm not that fond of.

* Battle Masters was an MB Games attempt to get into wargaming, rather as Heroquest was their entry level dungeon exploring game.  GW designed the minis, and they have very much the look of the various armies of the time.  I have a substantial number of the Empire troops in my Empire army, and at one time had painted up a lot of the beastmen.  I used the Ogre as the giant at Kachas Pass many years ago. 
I can't remember how well the game played, it was a long time ago, I suspect many people saw it as a cheap source of minis.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff, I have a lot of nostalgia for Battle Masters - it was my first contact with the hobby. The Battle Masters orcs work really well together with the other monopose orcs, I didn't know they are the exact same size. I wouldn't repaint the shields, they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they scale remarkably well together. They don't rank up as well. When they were on square bases I had to have one type based to the front and the other to the back to get them to line up.
      Thanks for the vote for the shields. I'm pleased with them.
      It's interesting to see how my painting has changed over the decades

      Delete