Friday 28 June 2024

Oldhammer Orc Warriors

Here's my latest batch of painting, these five orcs, the results of various swaps and the occasional eBay job lot*
They are armed with an assortment of clubs and swords, and as with the spears here, are a mix of Perry twins (Gobstob and Maulman), Kev Adams (Brogbladd Brainbelter and Grinning Graglob) and one Marauder MM 20 orc (ORC 16).
A good mix of styles

There are some lovely sculpts in this lot, But my favourites are the Kev Adams sculpts. 

 
ORC4 (OC-05) Brogbladd Brainbelter
Brogbladd is obviously the leader, with his huge sword and spiky helmet. He's got spiked discs on his armour as well, so I had to give him the spiked shield. All this made me think that he's bested a Chaos Warrior, so he's got a very 'Chaos-y' shield.  I should probably add some highlights to the shield spikes. 

0502/18 Grinning Graglob
Graglob has an elongated face reminiscent of some of the old Fantasy Tribes orcs and adds welcome variety, while still being obviously an orc.  His elven shield, with stars at the points, doesn't come out very well.  He's a bit more artistic than most orcs though, he's painted the Severed Hand as if it's impaled on the central spike.

0501/11 Gobstob, Sword Bearer
Gobstob was very easy to paint, little decision making here.apart from the shield.  He's not the best sculpt in the batch, hands and feet aren't as detailed as some of the others and I ended up guessing where to paint some of his toenails.  Still, he's great to have.

ORC 16 w. Club & Shield
0501/04 Maulman
I've always liked Maulman, he was once a part of my orc collection and it's good to have him back.  
He fits very well among the earlier Harboth's Black Mountain Boyz Regiment of Renown.  

Painting Choices 
For Brogbladd's Chaos shield I painted a weird pink face before covering a lot of it up with a Severed Hand symbol. You can see the shield before the orc 'decoration' here.
The rest also got trophy shields, though Maulman had a rather dull opponent (the shield is cast on the mini, and has such well defined wood grain that I wanted to emphasise it rather than paint over it). 
Some of the liveried jacks make a reappearance too, but there are a few just wearing scraps for loincloths.

Looking Forward 
I've got a good few Severed Hand orcs painted now, I'll take stock and let you know how the tribe is doing.
One thing is certain, I'll be painting more, as I've quite a painting queue of suitable models now.

*I'm still buying occasionally from eBay. Either specific minis where I set myself a limit, or job lots for a low price. This is how I ended up with the villagers here.  I'm doing more swapping now, as I get close to the required number of orcs and have more specific needs (still not there yet).

2 comments:

  1. You are getting quite an orc force painted now. I particularly like the last one, orc 16, nice simple pose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they are fun minis, and another nice mix of sculptors.
      I'll show how the Severed Hand tribe is progressing soon.

      Delete