Tuesday 2 November 2021

Warhammer Buildings - A Question of Scaling

Back in 2020 when I was making one of the Warhammer Townscape buildings in a build off with Merlin/Bodvoc I mentioned that I thought that the scale of the PDF was off.  Well I've recently found my original model of the same building.

Both versions of the building

As you can see, the original is smaller.  If you want the details, the main building on the original is 106mm by 106mm and 40mm rising to 80mm high. The more recent version based on the PDF is 122m by 124mm (woops) and 44mm rising to 88mm high.  Not a huge increase, but noticeable.  

From above the size difference is most obvious

Now this doesn't matter, after all, there's no set size to such buildings, and the difference is small enough that minis look OK next to either building.  I suspect that today's minis, at 28mm or even 32mm scale, would make the earlier build look quite small.  

Its interesting to me to revisit such an early build.  I must have made this pretty much as soon as I got Bloodbath at Orc's Drift back in 1985.  I photocopied the original building sheets and simply glued them onto 4mm thick card, thus the doors and windows are in pretty much the right place to match the artwork. The card was liberated from the recycling at work and is strong and very tough to cut, it's lasted over 35 years mostly in none too gentle storage.  Cutting out those doors and windows took ages.  Foamboard may not have the strength, but it's lighter and much easier to work with.  Otherwise, construction is pretty much the same as I do now; balsa timbering, filler/spackle for daub and card strips for roof tiles.


The question now is what to do with it.  The model is sound and needs only a little fixing up.  I'll have to sort those windows out, perhaps by filling them from the back and adding some form of leading, granny grating again I think.  If I'm putting in a bit more effort I'll give the timbering a light sanding as there are lots of bits where I've got the filler on the wood (or I could paint it up as moss?).  The daub could do with a bit more depth, true half timbered buildings have very little difference in level between the dub panels and the timber frame.

While the roof is OK, its a bit battered, and I prefer a bigger overhang (daub walls don't do well in very wet weather; a large roof overhang helps protect them).  To make the building look different I may even remove the roof and start again. A new chimney is a must (or perhaps a smoke hole if  I'm going for early Mock Medieval?), and I'll definitely add a base.

So this can be a project for the near future, once the ripper Suits are finished perhaps, and if this goes well, I've also found my original (unfinished) model of the Tavern.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting size difference. I reckon the roof on the old building is fine, just model a new chimney and a do a general tidy up? Perhaps base to match the newer model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a new base and chimney. The thinking behind a new roof is to make it look different next to the bakehouse. I'm undecided roofwise, there are a couple of things I'd like to try.

      Delete