Wednesday 10 November 2021

Orctober(ish) - Ripper Suits Finished

At last, I've finished the two Ripper Suits.  I started them here, and you can see some progress here, but then I got bogged down with the edge highlighting and with deciding what to paint detail wise.  It was a compromise between lots of spot colour with the various pipes, dials, buttons etc, and a sensible military approach having no bright colours to stand out on the battlefield.  I couldn't resist some glowing power panels though, on the backpacks and on the ranged weapons.

The two Ripper Suits; impressive war machines

There are a few things I'll do differently next time I paint Ripper Suits, and I have several more, so I suppose I will be revisiting them.  I'll try and build the next pair as differently as possible, and I'll definitely go for the option to have the Ram not extended.  I failed to notice that the extended ram is at an angle.  I'll also investigate reposing the minis, the arms wide pose isn't my favourite.  I have a mental image of the Rainmaker posed on one leg, leaning backwards, with both weapons out forwards.  I don't think that's possible, but I'd like to try. 
I may also try contrast paints on the bulk of the suits to see if I can avoid all that edge highlighting, T'Other One has had some good results using contrast paints on his Deadzone minis.  

The Mauler


The Rainmaker




At this point I usually say how much I enjoyed painting them, well this time, although I didn't hate them, I didn't love them either.  Nothing to do with the material, more to do with certain paint choices I made.
Still, I'm pleased with the end result and I'm looking forward to getting a game in with them, I just need to paint up some more Marauders to go with them.

4 comments:

  1. They. Look. Fan. Tas. Tic! Lovely edge highlighting work. And that glow effect on the backpacks. Wow! *applause*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. They may not have been fun to do, but I'm really pleased with the results.
      I think the guntrack would look good in the same colour scheme.

      Delete