Friday 22 February 2019

Kingdoms of Men Reinforcements - Part One, Preparations and New Basing

Since I emptied the Star box I have decided to do a unit for my Kingdoms of Men army.  I started this project a while ago, and got to around 1000 points, though not everything was finished.

After Monday's game using 500 points of them, and as I am currently sorting through what remains of my Warhammer armies, I have decided to add to them a unit at a time.  This time getting everything finished, based etc before moving on to another unit.

I chose the old Empire Handgunners for the first regiment.  I have always liked these models; they are originally from the sixth edition starter set, probably my favourite.  Over the years I have amassed quite a few of these models from at least two starter sets and several eBay job lots. In all that time though I have never painted any of the handgunners.  I do have a regiment of the spearmen, and I have a troop of the older Empire Soldiers with the metal arms holding guns, I prefer these though, the poses are much better.

First job was some repair work.  The years have not been kind to these models, and there were a few that needed pinning back onto their feet and a couple of weapons needed repairing or replacing.  I used bits from the Empire Militia set to repair damaged handguns and in one case replace a missing one.  For this I used the militia arms holding a blunderbuss.  A bit of carving away at the flared end and it works OK.
Then an hour in nail varnish remover (make sure it's the sort for acrylic nails, otherwise all you will end up with is a disappointing Chaos Spawn model, and even so don't leave it in too long), a wash and ready for basing.

I am keeping these models on their individual bases.  Partly as a nod to the old system (if I ever go back and play Warhammer, it would be this edition, sixth; though that's very unlikely), partly so I can use individual models in Vanguard and perhaps even borrow them occasionally for RPGs.  It also makes it easier to field different sized units (troops, regiments or hordes).
I need some way of moving each unit as a block, and I already have some Warbases movement trays from previous projects (and the existing Kom army).  Previously I have used blu tack as a way of keeping models in place, but I have decided to try magnets.  I drilled 3mm holes in a pattern in the trays such that the centre of each base would be directly above (a 20mm grid offset by about 10mm from the edges for standard infantry) and glued magnets into the holes.  Then I glued corresponding magnets in the underside of the old GW 'non slot' bases. These required a fillet of thin card to bring the magnets to the required depth, though some of the bases have a nub in the centre, so it's worth checking each one before glueing.

The end result is good.  Drilling out the holes is a chore, next time I need some bases I will request that this be done by Warbases, it is a service they offer.
It's important to always be aware of the polarity of the magnets, so I keep a test mini on hand to check.
I now have several movement trays and units of minis magnetized, including some movement trays for my larger based orcs.  The magnets are strong enough to hold plastic minis in upside down, and the magnets in the trays keep them in place in my steel lined Really Useful Boxes.

Some of the stripped models look a little pink, legacy of a paint job from the previous owner.

The handgunners milling around after their bath in nail polish remover and having their fancy new bases fitted

All ranked up and undercoated

I plan on doing a simple base coat with one highlight followed by a wash with Army Painter Strongtone wash.  This has worked well enough on my recent minis (such as the Vanguard orcs here) and I'm sure it will be fine for regiments.


2 comments:

  1. You have certainly been busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've enjoyed these (so far). There's an appealing simplicity to the design, though there is enough detail to do quite fancy paint schemes. I'm keeping mine relatively simple, but the costumes could be really fancy.

      Delete