Thursday 14 February 2019

A Looting We Will Go

A quick post to say I got another game of Kings of War in, this time against a brand new opponent, Ross.
He hosted and played ogres against my orcs
Ross' Ogres, a new opponent for me, both player and army.

The whole of the ogre horde

My hordes facing off against the bulk of the ogres

The whole of the orc army

Gradual orc advance, the skulks have already claimed one of the two point objectives

Where's that orc horde gone? 

On my right flank the trolls are claiming more objectives, and I still have some units left

The big scrap, loads of ogres against loads of orcs

Krudger speed bump

Very few orcs left, but at least we still have the loot.

We played a Loot scenario, which I misremembered from a previous version of the game, or perhaps from the dusty vaults of my memory.  There were a couple of points I had wrong; notably that you can't leave the table with the loot, and that units can carry more than one token (as my trolls did once I discovered this).

I was dismayed at just how many attacks the ogres can put out for their frontage.  Grokagamok plus two hordes could match up against one of my  hordes, and pretty much chewed through anything I put in front of them in a turn.  In response I was unable to bring my troops in in any sort of coordinated fashion.  However, the game was about loot, not kills, and my skulks snatched one prize early one and led a horde of ogre braves a merry dance.  The ogres eventually squashed them, only to fall to a lucky arrow from my flagger in the last turn.  On my other flank, the trolls seized two Loot counters, including a double points value one.  By the end I had enough to win (though very few orcs to share it amongst).
I managed to miss breaking ogre units by 1 several times, the ogre braves that chased my skulks were a prime example, taking fireballs and arrows before falling to the Warbow of Kaba.

I don't think I'd change the army composition much (apart from not having much else ready to choose from).  It was galling to end up having my heroes pretty much as speed bumps (and the Mournful Blade was a poor choice, but neither of us knew what the other would be using).  But ultimately, that was what kept the ogres away long enough for my trolls and greataxes to snaffle the prizes.  Now to get the loot out of the trolls grubby paws.

Ross was extremely helpful, and the game was great fun to play. I'm definitely up of a rematch, and this game keeps me on track for at least one tabletop game a month.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great game, could do with a few close ups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only took my phone, which doesn't have a great camera. Ross's ogres look nice though. He has converted a horde of Siegebreakers with huge hammers and shields, very nice. He also had a regiment of Red Goblins, who failed to hit anything at all until the final turn, leading to me claiming they were fifth columnists.

      Delete