Thursday 25 April 2024

Oldhammer Goblin Wolf Riders


I posted recently showing three wolves, now here are the riders.

MM32/2(b), MM34/2 (b) and MM32/1 (a)

A Change of Plan 
After preparing these three Marauder goblins I decided to keep these for the matching Marauder wolves. I have some of the Kev Adams Citadel goblins, so I chose my favourite to go on the Citadel wolf, 0706/14 Gaglob 2.

Painting the Goblins 
I gave each goblin a slightly different skin colour. There was no attempt at uniform colours for clothing and equipment. 
I used my standard orc method of base coat, extreme highlights and wash, but given that I'm only painting a few of these I gave them extra highlights after the wash and tried to give them better detailing.
The three Marauder goblins, with Gaglob 2 on the right*

The Shields
All the goblins have a stud to hold a plastic shield. Unlike most of Citadel's plastic shields, where the stud fits through a hole and acts as the shield boss, the Marauder shields have a recess rather than a hole and the stud is a lot shallower. The Marauder shields all have moulded detail. I still have some of these, so it seems appropriate to use them. I was tempted to use the crescent shields with a wolf on them, but in the end I chose a small round shield with wicker texture and a small 'Evil Sun' boss.

Blurry shields*

So there they are, three lovely old school goblin wolf riders. You may notice that I've painted the wolves' eyes in yellow since their last post.

I'm pleased with how they've come out, and I'll get the remaining wolves (two Marauder ones) painted soon.  I have one painted rider already, and a couple more unpainted, one of which is missing a hand, so may become a standard bearer.
I'm also pretty pleased with the photography.  Again just using my phone, but this time experimenting with the Portrait setting and the Food filter, both of which seem to accentuate the warmer tones.


This goblin appears to have picked his shield up upside down!


At this point I would usually remark that in fact, this is more than I ever actually managed to properly complete back when I originally collected them, but not this time. I had a unit of ten Goblin Wolf Riders back then, although they were Citadel rather than Marauder. I remember being very pleased with them, though they never did very well on the battlefield. They did suffer from varnish misting; repeated applications of newer varnish never quite corrected it. 
Apart from Warhammer, they also saw action in a 3E D&D adventure where the characters had to defend a hamlet from marauding goblinoids and an Oni. Leave a comment if you remember High Verge.

* Yes, blurry pictures.  Despite the attempts at better photography, these are just WiP snapshots, and I actually can't tell how out of focus they are until I see them on my PC screen, by which time i've moved on in the painting process.


6 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the painting and the photography. The blue background works really well. My dwarves are looking forward to sinking their axes deep into your gobo heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      You're dwarves will have to catch them first.

      Delete
  2. Lovely models and great paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are great models aren't they. I'm not sure if I prefer the Trish Carden ones or Kev Adams' spiked ball wielding loon. They all have tons of character.
      They were great fun to paint too.

      Delete
  3. these look incredible. nice job on those shields. love it man, need more dwarves though haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really pleased with them. The shields were fun, though I was helped by the texture on them, wait until you see the shields I'm currently painting.
      As to dwarves, yes, I do need to get more painted. Along with more elves for Team Good.

      Delete