Saturday 3 October 2020

The Great Terrain Build Off - Part 2

I've made a bit progress on the Bake House, as I am calling my version of building 19.

I've made a suitably imposing chimney out of an odd piece of XPS foam. I cut a notch so the foam would slot over the wall. The gaps between the stones were lightly penciled in, then I used a scalpel to make cuts along the lines and then textured the foam using crunched up foil. The cuts were deepened with a pencil and I hollowed out the top of the chimney.


The chimney was then glued in place with tacky glue and pinned while the glue dried.

When I built the extensions I added foam board strips along the base to strengthen them. This was a last minute thought, mostly because I had just trimmed the lean-to down and so had a piece already the right size. 
I decided to do the same for the top of each extension to give the roof bases extra stability. These were cut to size, chamfered to match the slope of the roof, then glued in place. The main roof got a double thickness piece along the ridge. 
These would, of course, have been better fitted as each extension was built, though the bake house bit has had a section cut out to fit around the chimney.

Next up will be fitting the roof base.




4 comments:

  1. Good work, especially on the chimney. Consider me impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wanted something suitably large as I imagine there's a big oven inside. XPS is ideal for this

      Delete
  2. That chimney looks superb!
    - The Other One

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. XPS is a great modelling material.
      I plan to use it for complete ground floors when I want a stone effect.

      Delete