Tuesday 13 October 2020

The Great Terrain Build Off - Part 4

I see Merlin has been working on his cottage, so I've got a bit further on the Bakehouse.
Like him I have made the windows separately, they will get glued in place as I timber the building. 

I like the effect that Merijin of 'Another Wargames Blog' gets in his Warhammer Townscape builds (he talks further about it here), so I bought some plasterboard tape and cut coffee stir sticks into 2mm wide strips to build some frames.
I laid two 15mm long strips down on masking tape 5mm apart, then cut two more strips for the top and bottom of the frame. 
Then plasterboard tape was carefully placed on top, using the tape to represent glazing bars. The tape is slightly sticky on one side, so this helps keep everything together. 
Then I ran a thin bead of superglue over the joints and the tape where it touched the wood and gave a quick spray of superglue accelerant. 

Apologies for the blurred photo, I hope you can see what is going on here.

Two completed windows

Once I had the windows built I was able to start the timbering. 
I started with the timbers along the base of the building, I presume the builders started out with a wooden frame marking out the footprint of the building. I then moved on to the corners, which ended up as pretty chunky bits of timber. 
I then superglued the windows in place then added balsa around, roughly matching the pattern of the original model. 
I used three different thicknesses of balsa to try to emphasise the main frame and the secondary support timbers, I'm not sure how well this comes out. 
The daub texture was simply filler, watered down slightly to help coverage and applied with a stiff bristled brush. 

Finally the wood for the doors and the lean-to was added, thin balsa with planks marked in first with a craft knife and then with a pencil. 
A bit of extra texture was added to the woodwork simply by carving off a few corners pto make the building look worn.


Next, my favourite bit (not).  Tiling the roof.

6 comments:

  1. Looking good, I shall enjoy seeing the finished cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, once I've finished this I might be tempted to build another.

      Delete
  2. Same here, about time we created a wonderful set of houses etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen plasterboard tape before - that gives a great effect! This is coming together REALLY nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, it's been fun, and I'm pleased with how it looks.

    It's good stuff, designed to fasten plasterboard sheets together prior to plastering. I saw Black Magic Craft using it, and thought it would be a suitable alternative to carpet backing. I've loads, so you're welcome to some.

    ReplyDelete