| The next batch |
Werewolves
The next dip pulled out the werewolves.
These certainly look the part, bipedal wolf-like humanoids with fragments of clothing. Otherwise they have no equipment.
It made sense to approach these in the same way as the Dire Wolves, so I prepared them the same way.
As previously noted, they have visible gaps where some of the arms were glued in place, but similar gaps on the Ghouls seemed OK, so I left them.
I used exactly the same colour scheme for the fur as the Dire Wolves; although the later are small for the official creatures, I think they look just right for a lycanthrope in beast form.
Then I painted the torn clothing with Speedpaints, carefully choosing lighter and darker shades.
And the next morning I looked at them and I really didn't like them.
| Poor paint choice |
The colours look too garish, and there's no real contrast. There's nothing wrong with the fur, so I left that alone and went over the clothing. I added highlights to the skirt? thing and painted the shirt? With VGC Khaki, highlighting with Bonewhite then Off White. Finally it got a shade of Marine Juice.
Giant Worms, or Baby Purple Worms
Next was the Giant Worms. The sculpt is very reminiscent of the Monster Manual picture of a Purple Worm, and Wildspire's own stats PDF suggests they are essentially mini Purple Worms.
They had quite obvious mould lines along the belly. I removed these with a flat file, then used a triangular file to restore some of the lost details. In some cases this left a gap running up the belly segments, but I imagine the worms take quite a bit of damage as they burrow through rock.
I gave them pale bellies using the same method as the Naga. The upper side is a base coat of Vallejo Game Color Hexed Lichen, highlighted by mixing in VGC Warlock Purple and then Squid Pink. No exact ratios, I just used three dollops of the paints on my wet palate.
To tone down the rather pink highlights and add a bit more definition to the underbelly I gave everything a wash of Marine Juice.
The various spikes were black, with a dot of Vallejo Extra Opaque Charcoal as a highlight. The disturbed earth on the base was painted with various browns and greys.
Wild Boar
I'll admit that I wanted the Wild Boar to be brown, based on the rather muddy boars I've seen in the Dales.
This also informed my choice of greys for the Wolves and Werewolves so they'd contrast nicely.
| Wild Boar, what colour? |
A Google search suggests that most boar are closer to dark greys and black, but never mind. It's fantasy after all.
I used Vallejo Surface primer German Green Brown and then gave them a thinned coat of VGC Terra trying to leave the belly in the primer colour. While it was still wet I then worked in Beasty Brown along the haunches and back. I then added Scorched Brown, which simply gave a disappointing muddy colour. I finished off with black along the spine. Yes, I know it's pretty much the same patterning as the wolves, but I think it gives a reasonably believable animal look, spoilt only by my impatience with the Scorched Brown.
Finishing off with dark grey snout and trotters, and suitably off white tusks and they were almost done.
So twelve more minis painted.
The Werewolves gave me problems with the Speedpainted clothing and the Worms were tricky, simply because I struggle painting purple (they actually came out a lot better than I hoped). The Boars are a bit dull, but OK. I very rarely use boar in my games, but painting them has given me some ideas for some Old School minis that I'll one day get around to painting.
What's Next?
That's 40 minis painted, so I'm two thirds of the way through, counting that massive Giant as one (I'm sure Gimli would approve).
Seven of the remaining minis are translucent plastic, so that should speed things up a bit.
But I'd like to get some of my other ongoing projects back on track, so I might intersperse the remaining twenty with some other stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment