Monday, 21 September 2026

Wildspire Miniatures Gas Serpent, Imp Hulk, Unholy Knight

Another batch of three different sculpts, and we're nearing the end of the set.
Three Gas Serpents at the back, then four Imps and four Undead Knights
Eleven more minis 


Gas serpent
There are only three of these in the set. Why? I've no idea. 
Still, they look nice, and should be fairly easy minis to paint. 
When I painted the Air Elemental I thought the same technique would work fine for these. However, after checking the free PDF, (and realising they are called Gas Serpents, not Vapour Serpents) I wanted something close to a turquoise-ish colour, but still preserving their translucent nature.
As an experiment I tried Army Painter Speedpaint Prismatic Bolt. The serpents have wispy vapour trailing off them, and I wanted this to look a bit different.  So I gave the snakes themselves a coat of the Prismatic Bolt and finished off with the Vallejo Game Wash Pale Gray for the vapour. 
The bases were finished off with Vallejo Game Color Cold Gray.
Translucent turquoise/green with pale greyish wisps of vapour.
Gas Serpents, bound to be useful somewhere 

Imp Hulks
Next up were the four Imps, or rather Imp Hulks, explaining the bigger size. 
I went for red skin here to match the Monster Manual imp. 
Over a prime (I used Vallejo Surface Primer German Green Brown, but it doesn't really matter what colour, though perhaps not black) I painted a base coat of Vallejo Extra Opaque Dark Red mixed with a bit of black for a really dark red. This was then drybrushed with VGC Red Gore, then Blood Red, Flaming Orange and finally Hot Orange.
Final details were an opportunity to add some extra spot colours, so yellow eyes, grey claws and a poisonous looking green on the stinger on the tail (love that VMC Livery Green).
The drybrushing did get a bit tedious, but the worst part by far was painting the base while trying not to get grey on the imp (not always successfully).
Large bat-wings, hunched humanoids with scorpion tails. They're are orangey red
Imp Hulks

Unholy Knights 
I've been looking forward to painting these since I first saw them, they look suitably impressive foes.
After priming I painted all the metals in VGC Chainmail Silver.
Then I did the cloak; black of course, starting with black and then shading up with VEO Charcoal.
The armour and cloak were washed with Vallejo Game Wash Black, which I keep forgetting is a bit too good at covering detail, especially when that detail is rather shallow. I tried to bring back some of the highlights with Silver 
I took the opportunity to vary the colours on the other bits of fabric to help with identification on the tabletop. Then I picked out a few ornamental bits on the armour and sword in VGC Tinny Tin, Brazen Bronze and finally Shining Gold.
The skull was painted pretty much the same as my old school skeletons. There isn't really much detail on the hands, so I painted them as leather gauntlets.  But that looked dull, so I dotted in some VGC Bonewhite and White to give the impression of fingers. It's not my neatest, but it doesn't look too bad.
The whole lot got a wash with Marine Juice, which pretty much covered the highlights on the cloak, so that got another drybrush with Charcoal Gray to bring them back.
I found the Knights less fun than I thought. I was continually frustrated by the lack of detail, so my usual base coat - highlights - wash technique wasn't that effective.
Still, they're done and they're ok. I'll probably use them as Wights or perhaps some sort of undead boss monster.
Cloaked warriors in plate armour with greatsword. Most of the body is covered in armour, but they are bare headed, revealing a skull
Unholy Knights 

So another batch done, and relatively quickly too.
The collection is growing nicely and I'm very pleased with my progress.

What's Next?
Well, only nine left. I'll get the remaining Medium sized minis done soon and I have plans regarding the giant so I'm saving her for later.
I do have a summary post looking at the whole set and the others available coming soon.

Not many left

I'd also like to get a bit more scenery done to take advantage of Dave Stone's Season of Scenery challenge.

And there's my Undead to return to.

And I'd like to do some more Kings of War stuff too.

I'm not short of options.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wildspire Miniatures Gas Serpent, Imp Hulk, Unholy Knight

Another batch of three different sculpts, and we're nearing the end of the set. Eleven more minis   Gas serpent There are on...