Sunday 19 November 2023

6mm Fantastic Battles Dwarf Progress

I've made further progress on my dwarf army. I've got some more companies painted, and I found the missing stuff from years ago, which I've temporarily based.  I now have close to 1000 points ready to play, though I have yes to finish any characters.

Nearly 1000 points of dwarves ready for war

The newly painted stuff has increased to give me three companies of City Watch armed with pikes, four companies of crossbow armed dwarves and a couple of Avenging Hammers.
When I tot this lot up using my version of the list in the Fantastic Battles book I've got close to 1000 points, and that's without any characters.

The newly painted stuff

Four companies of crossbows, some companies reversed to show the cloaks

The City Watch and the Royal Guard, again with some reversed to show cloaks

Centaur allies and Avenging Hammers

Then there are the dwarves that I painted years ago, which I've temporarily based to get them game ready.  I've got some unpainted strips too, which I'll paint first before redoing these, a kind of 'new paint jobs for old' system.

Four companies of Clan Militia and two groups of Clansdwarves


When painting I find it helps to tell little stories about the minis as that helps me decide what to paint.  The White Mountain Kingdom Dwarves use a heraldry I designed many years ago for a 25mm dwarf army.  Essentially a white triangle on a blue and green field.  The blue represents the sky and the green the plains.  The triangle is the White Mountain itself.  These dwarves are all dressed in blue jackets or equivalent, and green trousers, those these are not usually showing.  The kingdom consists of different clans each owing allegiance to a Clan Elder.  Each clan has an associated colour which is shown on any cloaks.  Clans can have several units, but I'll try and vary the clans across the army as I progress.  The Capital City is home to the Royal Palace.  The King's Guard, King's Hunters and City Watch are all elite units with purple or white cloaks.  These units are made up from Irregular's Dark Dwarf range, and complement the ordinary Dwarf range nicely.

Next I need to get the Dwarf King, some Clan Lords, a Rogue and some Rune Smiths done, though I've made a good start on them already using some of the individual characters from the ranges, and some bits of strips that I've cut up.  I'd like to do some Rangers too, but I've no spare crossbows.
I'll be well over 1000 points then, and the initial target was .  I hope to eventually stretch to 2000 points, which should be doable, though I might need a few extra bits from Irregular to do so.  I expected to find some painted crossbows, but there weren't any, and only two Avenging Hammers is odd, I'm sure I had more.  Also I notice that they now do handgun armed dwarves, very tempting.  However, before expanding the army too much I should look at some opposition.  Probably goblins, as I have quite a few already painted to a standard I am happy with.

4 comments:

  1. Great progress on your army and I really liked the back story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they've been fun to do. I find the back story inspires me when I'm painting, helps me with colour choices etc as well as being an entertaining creative exercise.

      Delete
  2. damn near had a tear in my eye reading this.
    nicely done man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They've been great fun to paint, and I'm looking forward to getting them on the table soon.
      I've more to do, but this gives me a core 1000 points.
      Next up I'll paint six companies of clansdwarves to replace the old ones, they'll get repainted in their turn, as will the militia once they are replaced.
      I've also got goblins, orcs and undead to do; I always like to have at least two armies, it helps when getting potential new players interested.

      Delete