Tuesday 4 April 2023

Chillcon 23

I got to Chillcon 23 this last weekend.  It's a lovely show in Sheffield, with plenty of room, and much better lighting than I remember at FIASCO!

I was relatively restrained with my purchases, picking up the jig from the Slice and Slot Kickstarter that I backed.  I also got a sample pack of the printed doors, arches and windows, just so I can have a go while I wait for some to be printed*.  I've been playing around with these and I'll make up some ruins that will be ideal for my Middle Earth terrain.  These particular prints were from MTG Terrain.

I also got some 3D printed crabs which will make a great Tidal Swarm for my Trident Realm from Iron Gate Scenery.  They have plenty of nice normal animals alongside some great looking fantasy stuff.  I was tempted by a Bolt Thrower for my Kingdoms of Men, but it is quite a bit too big for the 50mm base required.  The crabs, however, look just right for a Tidal Swarm regiment.


Just as a sample I got three minis from The Lion's Tower who had a lucky dip, £5 for 3 minis!  I've not heard of this company before, but I'm very impressed.  Looking at their catalogue later I particularly like the ghouls, great for roleplaying.  I think the minis I 'dipped' are a skeleton corpse, a human female monk with flail and a chap I haven't IDed, but I think he'd make a nice druid.


Finally I picked up three packs from Ramshackle Games.  These seem to be prototypes for a new range of folklore style goblins.  Think Brian Froud rather than Games Workshop or Tolkien.  I was particularly impressed by both the enthusiasm of the young man we talked to, and the odd nature of some of the sculpts.  I understand that he plans to Kickstart the range soon.  I got a robed goblin with a cleaver and wearing some sort of mask (it could just as well be a rebreather for a SciFi setting), a lovely female goblin with a slightly 'hedgehog' face and different options for arms, and a pie and tea service - ideal objectives.

I also spent an enjoyable half hour talking about Early Medieval music with the re-enactors.  A couple of them have a  band, Elven Dale, and it's just my sort of thing, Early Medieval and new tunes in the the same style.


*I know I don't have a 3D printer, nor am I ever likely to get one, but I have friends who do.

No comments:

Post a Comment