Thursday 22 September 2022

Artefacts from my Gaming Past: 2

I've been sorting through my stuff in the loft of shame and came across this chap.
He's an Asgard dwarf (FD3 Dwarf Thief, according to Lost Minis), and may not look much; little detail and poor paint job, neither helped by years of abuse at the bottom of a lead pile

But to me he's my first character mini, Flosi the dwarven thief.

Flosi was my first ever D&D character from my first ever game (I got the mini a few weeks later, from a games show in Manchester, where fantasy minis were rare).  I turned up at the long defunct Kirklees Modelling and Gaming Club at Huddersfield Sports Centre one Monday evening in 1977, after one of my college chums persuaded me that I had to try this new game.  I was led through the character generation process by the DM, (Johnny, I think) largely by being told what to roll, then being told what my character was best suited for.  
I was instantly hooked.

Flosi survived to third level, he controversially died in The Licheway, a White Dwarf dungeon, run by Tom Kirby (yes, that Tom Kirby), killed by a throat leech, a monster that lurks in drinks and attacks from the inside.  Poor Flosi was only having a dip, according to the inscription "bathe Sandlander, and ease your cares".
Anyway, his mini, now painted with Humbrol enamels, did duty as Flosi's replacement, and even spent some time in a small army of Asgard dwarves in my early Warhammer days.

He used to have a sword in his right hand, and a dagger, actually a pin (ouch!) in his left.  I may repaint him, though there's not a lot of detail on him.  Still, it would be fun, though I can't ever see me using him in any game.  

Talking of repainting old minis, I also found this, an old Citadel Miniatures bard with sword and lute.  I liked him because it was unusual to find a mini back then with a musical instrument, even though it does look more like a crossbreed between a lute and a mandolin.  
Unlike Flosi, the bard was definitely in the character minis box I showed in my first Artefacts post.  I wonder what other old lead I'll turn up in my delving?

Now if only I could find 'Wreckless' Eric Harminion, my longest lasting character, a 14th level human fighter.




No comments:

Post a Comment