Wednesday 20 March 2019

Blog Blitzing

I'm just back from a lovely short break to discover I am another year older.  It was too short a break to bother taking any hobby stuff; I did take a notebook for ideas for the new D&D campaign, but didn't manage much more than a handful of place names.  I did, however, indulge in what I call 'Blog Blitzing'.  This involves choosing a hopefully interesting hobby blog, going right back to the first post, and reading all the entries (and often the comments too).

I find it fascinating to do, you can see the writer's style developing over the years and the posts, and I've always managed to pick up something useful.

In the past I've blitzed Chris Palmer's All bones About It which gave me inspiration for painting my Reaper Bones, and his companion blog, One More Gaming Project. which encouraged me to try and start a Frostgrave campaign.  Aki's Too Much Lead got me thinking tactically about how I play wargames, and Gunbird's 20mm And Then Some taught me the five box system (and he has produced some excellent terrain pieces).

This time it was Orlygg's Realm Of Chaos 80s.
While I don't think I'll ever be an Oldhammer player, I marvel at some of the paint jobs on there, and I certainly agree with him regarding the quality of some of Games Workshop's earlier work.  In fact I'd go so far as to say that some of the even earlier, pre slotta based stuff was as good if not better.  I suspect we are both looking back at the hobby to the time when we first became hooked so to us it is a 'golden age'.
His pieces looking at the history of GW are fascinating, and reminded me that at least one exGW luminary was once a member of the same gaming club as myself.

I am in the midst of a grand clear out at the moment, and I have a bit of Oldhammer stuff still left.  I am going to paint up a few of my favourites, but I think a lot of it probably deserves to go to the people who will get the most from it.

Now what to keep?

No comments:

Post a Comment