Wednesday 6 December 2023

6mm Fantastic Battles: Dark Elves vs Dwarves

Bodvoc came down for a game of Fantastic Battles, the first outing for both our 6mm armies. We had around 1000 points each; I suspect that we will be adding to them soon.
We played a straight up fight since the armies were new, and I'm very rusty with the rules.
Bodvoc set up the terrain, it was all his as I'm still putting together a 6mm terrain set.

The field of battle. This is prior to rolling for Mishaps, but they were relatively minor, just a few outbreaks of disease resulting in a bit of Resolve loss
1000 points of Naughty Elves 
999 points of Doughty Dwarves 
The Dark Elf skirmishing flank makes for the Avenging Hammer. Both main battle lines advance

The Dark Elves' main battle line advancing

And the Dark Elf skirmishing flank

The Dwarves flawed deployment in two lines

The centaurs have done some damage to the Dark Elf infantry, but the dragon charges them, aided by the lizard riders.

The two hosts start their long drawn out melee

More units join on either side

The Avenging Hammers finally take out the Giant Lizard, seeing this the Scouts flee as well

I didn't take any more photos after this point, but the right hand Dwarven Shieldwall fell to a combination of lizard riders, infantry and witch-elves, and the Dwarven artillery were wiped out by the remaining scout company and accompanying rogue.

Sadly we ran out of time, far too much chatting and looking through my collection of 6mm stuff. 
We called a halt at the end of the fifth turn. The dwarves had lost seven companies to the dark elves' three. I'll willingly concede, though we felt the big melee in the centre could go either way with an extra turn.
Bodvoc certainly handles his army very well, I'm very much getting to grips with mine. For some reason I didn't put my Warlord or a Captain into combat, and when they were in combat, such as the ill-fated captain with the centaurs, I forgot to add their dice, those extra dice would certainly have helped. Both of us managed to get units stuck, blocked by others in front. I deliberately set up in two lines, with my elite behind the 'ordinaries'. Rather than having a tough reserve that swept in just at the critical moment, I ended up trapping my best units, they were too close to manoeuvre around the melee to play any part, so I never got to see how well they could perform.

I suffered some bad luck with dice (six dice needing a 4+, only one hit), and my magic was laughably bad, failing the first three spells. Shieldwall on formed or elites is powerful, and I'm tempted to add it to the City Watch. I do need some sort of annoying skirmish type companies, probably Rangers.  I've also got plans for some ROUS's and eventually the DFC.
So an excellent game, the 6mm stuff looks great, and the rules work well (except Blink - I hate Blink). I'm looking forward to many more.

The Dark Elf version of events is here


2 comments:

  1. Blink is a blinking nuisance but worked to great effect for me today. I am intrigued by ROUS's and the DFC? I am currently writing out quite a list for more Irregular 6mm stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blinking right it was. Especially as we only have little legs to get back into melee.
      ROUS's? DFC? well, you'll have to wait and see.

      Delete