Sunday 3 December 2023

6mm Dwarven Command for Fantastic Battles

It's done.  I've got 1000 points of dwarves ready for Fantastic Battles, and nicely in time too, as Bodvoc and I have scheduled  a battle for Wednesday.

Left to right;  Clan Elder (Captain), King (Warlord), Hero (another Captain) and Runesmith (Magic User)

Now admittedly six of the companies were painted many years ago, and I plan to paint up some more clansdwarves to replace them, but it's good to have a solid core to expand later.

Most of the minis are taken from either the Dwarf or Dark Dwarf command strips.  The king at the front of the Warlord group is a Dark Dwarf character and the chap of the pony is a Dwarf character.




The Runesmith is just one of the dwarves I hacked off a command strip to make one of the other character stands.  His altar is carved from a bit of plastic sprue.  I like the result, though it is a bit large.  I'll be using the same technique if I do any more Runesmiths.


I also painted up a second company of centaur archers.  As these started off unpainted I took the opportunity to cut the strip up a bit more to emphasis their irregular nature.  It's not always possible to do this with the Irregular 6mm strips, but I like the effect when I can.

Where's next for the 6mm Fantastic Battles project?  I'd like to get a second army done to 1000 points, both to give myself some variety and to make it easy to demonstrate the game to potential new players.  I'm also desperately short of appropriate scenery.  I've a few small trees of the 'bottle-brush' variety left over from my earlier forays into 6mm, but they need basing.  I have ideas for a mat of the right size for Fantastic Battles in 6mm (50cm x 75cm), and in the process I think I'll do some hills.  I'm also investigating some suitable buildings, but more on that if and when it seems feasible.  I feel I should get those six companies of clansdwarves done first though to bring the whole army up to the same standard.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent work. Looking forward to the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm a bit rusty with the rules, but I hope my dwarves work well on the tabletop

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the dwarves Hobbycraft have trees of the right size in their Christmas range

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks also for the tree mendous recommendation

      Delete