Monday 30 January 2023

Kings of War - Kingdoms of Men Speedpainting Oathmark Humans 6

The first unit I painted for my small Kingdoms of Men Ambush force was a Spear Phalanx. I need one more to complete the army, I've just got around to finishing it.

.
The painting was pretty much the same as the other units in the force, but I now have a full set of Speedpaints, so had less mixing to do.  The leather jerkins, for example, were Sand Golem rather than a mix of Pallid Bone, and I gave them all Runic Grey collars.  If I do more I might use this as a unit designator.
One new colour choice was a mix of equal parts Pallid Bone and Zealot Yellow for the blond hair, I think it works rather well (see the chap in the back rank).
The matt varnish didn't go according to plan; the can I was using (Humbrol) was close to empty, and it gave a poor covering.  I had to give the unit another coat of the much better Colour Forge Matt Varnish.
I didn't even try to use Speedpaints on the flag, I think the end result is far better.  I also used the cavalry standard topper simply to have some difference between the units.

I think I'm getting the hang of Speedpainting units now.  I did find that after not being used for a while, the paints were a little less effective, but a good shake does the trick.  

So that's the 500 point Ambush force complete.  I will use it for a battle or two, but the intention is to sell it and send the money to a humanitarian charity based in Ukraine.  I'll certainly post on here when this is happening, in case any of my readers are tempted to bid.

And what next?  Well I've already painted another character alongside the Spear Phalanx, she'll get her own post once I finish her base, and I have plans for another unit which I want for the slow grow campaign Bodvoc and I are running.  Of course, when I sell the army, I'll be 500 points short, but I'm happy including old Warhammer Empire units, especially when I remembered that the Province of Nordland have blue and yellow colours.  So I may end up with a hybrid force.

4 comments:

  1. Another wonderful unit, I look forward to using it as a pin cushion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      I'm sure you will, if only I could chase those pesky tree huggers down we'd show them

      Delete
  2. Wow, tbe colours on that banner really pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm rather pleased with how it came out myself.

      Delete