Sunday 20 November 2022

Frostgrave: Another Genie, Another Bottle

After the previous game with Andy, we were keen to play again, so we explored Felgrave once more with our new(ish) wizards. We've both named our wizards and apprentices; Andy has Penn, third level Illusionist with his apprentice Teller, and I have Movostros, second level Chronomancer, with his apprentice Kerlia (though I may change those names, I have plans for some specific minis for my wizard).  Since I now have a genie mini we played the Genie in the Bottle scenario, a first time for Andy, though I've already played it against Grim.

Opening Moves 
After the first turn, both wizards have advanced their warbands towards the treasures.  We both tried to group our warbands around the wizard and apprentice to make the most of their activations.  Andy maintained this better than I did though, and was able to bring missile fire against my warband early in each turn.  My plan to have a dedicated missile detachment was flawed as they acted in the Soldier phase.
My thugs advancing top and bottom, while my missile detachment plods along in the centre.  Kerlia is hiding behind the ruin to the right.

Movostros with his Templar bodyguard, meanwhile, my Treasure Hunter has already snared a treasure.

Pen's Thief claims a treasure, while Pen himself directs the action from behind the ruined skull platform.
Teller is in charge of the Knight, Sharpshooter and a couple of thugs.  The Knight prepares to climb up to another treasure.

The Genie Appears 
Pen's Knight grabs a treasure, it's the lamp.  Unfortunately he accidently rubs it, releasing the genie.  He throws himself off the ruin and hides out of sight, and the genie is distracted by a thug who just happens to be wandering by.  Surely Teller couldn't have sent him this way as genie bait?


The genie rises to the bait and homes in on the sacrificial thug


Before Teller's mighty spell...

...and after.  He Transposes the angry genie with one of my archers

Meanwhile (top left) a face off over another treasure begins.  This became a complicated scrap, with my Templar and a thug facing off against one of Andy's thugs.  The poor Templar got Pushed off the ruin and never really did much to earn his keep, eventually being put out of action by Andy's missile detachment


A very smug looking Teller

End Game 
With the lamp claimed by Penn's Knight and the genie running amok on my side, both wizards order a withdrawal 


Final Thoughts 
Sadly we had to call the game to a close, too much chatting I suppose, but it was a great and friendly game.  As per one of our house rules, any treasures claimed but not off the table are rolled for as treasure normally, but don't grant any experience, so I only ended up with 100XP.  
It was a strange game, magic seemed hard to cast, I managed only five spells all game, three of which were Fleet Feet, one of my favourites, and a definite help in retrieving treasures. 

The stand-out moment was the apprentice casting Transpose on the genie.  He needed a 16 to cast it, and then both the archer and the genie needed to fail their Will rolls.  He succeeded, and no doubt is boasting about it to this day.  This brought the genie right in amongst my warband, and I had to use a sacrificial thug to lure it away from more important gang members with treasure.  I had a bit of luck myself, when my apprentice cast Elemental Hammer on the thug's club, and he almost killed the genie. Almost.  Unfortunately, a second attempt failed, and the apprentice was already injured from previous miscasts and couldn't boost the spell.  Bye-bye thug.

Movostros is now third level, and has taken up residence in an old library.  The poor Templar was badly injured, so will miss the next game, but everyone else is OK.  I may invest in a kennels to allow me to add a warhound, and Movostros (or more likely Kerlia - that's what apprentices are for after all) has found a grimoire in the old library shelves, which he may sell.  I have plans to buy a bit more kit for the warband.

2 comments:

  1. another superb write up.
    I need to go back and reread the core rulebook and try to get a frostgrave game going. I never had the chance to play it but was able to get a rulebook of it, first edition though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do that, its a great fun game.
      I have both editions, but since we are continuing with wizards we created ages ago, we are sticking with first edition for now. There's nothing wrong with second edition, in fact, it does clear up some points and the changes to warband make up are all sensible. They've looked at the spells too and made some harder or easier or changed how they work, based on years of feedback.

      Delete