Wednesday 4 July 2018

5e Compliant Kobolds

As part of my (very) long term project to paint up minis for D&D, I have just finished a group of kobolds.  Like the Reaper goblins I did a while back, I wanted to accurately represent the equipment that 5E kobolds use.
Left to right; kobold with sling, kobold with 'sword'(back), kobold guard, Scale Sorcerer, kobold with 'sword' (back), Dragonscale, kobold with sling.

Here's the Dragonscale with his fancy shield

In the Monster Manual there are only two types of kobold; ordinary kobolds, armed with slings and daggers (or kobold sized short swords), and urds, basically rock dropping winged versions of the same.  Volo's Guide to Monsters gives three more kinds; the Scale Sorcerer, the Inventor, and the Dragonscale.

The new Reaper Bones kobolds are available in six different variants.  The wizardly type will do nicely as the Scale Sorcerer and the axe throwing kobold can easily be converted to a slinger by removing the held axes and using some greenstuff to make a sling.  I left the axes thrust through his belt, but that's a small detail.  The sword and (literal) board kobold was easiest, I simply carefully removed the wooden shield with a sharp hobby knife and cleaned up the arm a bit.

That left two kobolds in studded armour, both with 'swords' and shields and a spear armed kobold with shield.  The one with sword and shield held in hand became a Dragonscale.  I used greenstuff to give the shield a covering of scales, then carefully cut off the sword, drilled the right hand and then gave him a spear made from copper wire.  (In retrospect, doing the shield last would have been better, as handling the model meant that the scale detail got damaged and had to be resculpted).

I decided to create a new type of kobold.  I wanted a CR 1/2 kobold to balance encounters, and liked the idea of one that used a shield, possibly with the ability to interpose it when its allies are attacked (there is a similar ability for fighters).  It would still use a dagger (or kobold sized sword) and wear no armour.  The spear wielding kobold was good for this, I simply removed the spear and replaced it with the Dragonscale's sword.

Thus out of the six kobolds available I have found a use for five of them, and I think I might try converting the last one into an Inventor.  With the studs shaved off the armour, and some sort of crate or bag covering the shield slung on the back, it should look the part, especially if I can craft some sort of exotic weapon for it to wield, like the scorpion on a stick.  I can't see myself wanting many of these though, so I might end up with a surplus.

The paint jobs were pretty simple, base colours with a highlight followed by a wash of Army Painter Strongtone ink.

I aim to do five lots of the kobolds eventually, the basic troops and the new guard type will have generic paint jobs.  I will paint a Dragonscale and a Scale Sorcerer to represent each colour of chromatic dragon to emphasise their heritage.  That should give me plenty of options for encounters.

As I said before when discussing the gobins, it doesn't really matter how they are equipped.  However, I want the players to learn from their encounters.  Kobolds, like goblins, are low strength and high dexterity, therefore they use weapons that suit those abilities.  It is also a visual clue; using DEX based weapons means they will have good DEX saves, so smart magic using heroes can choose their attacks accordingly.

These kobolds have helped me get out of a bit of a rut.  I have found it difficult to finish minis recently; I seem to want to get more and more complicated with highlights, details, blended shading etc, and when I look at something that has already taken ages, and looks nowhere near finished, I have been putting that project aside.  I was determined to do a very quick paint job on these and get them table ready asap.  I think it worked, and they don't look too bad.

Also, I'm still struggling with photography.  I've tried so many different set ups with lights etc, that I am forced to think it may be the camera (and my lack of understanding of it), not helped by the tumble it and I had on the steps of Bebbanbergh Castle last year.
In essence I can't get a close enough image with enough light to show clear, close detail.  I might be forced to experiment with my phone camera, I understand they are very good now a days.


2 comments:

  1. Great kobolds, have you enough to expand into a Dragon Rampant force?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at the moment, and I think my DR force will be goblinoids with associated ogres and giants.
    The kobolds would need to be in large numbers, and I don't see myself collecting enough, though I might manage a unit of Ravenous Hordes by the end, which is probably about all they are worth.

    ReplyDelete