Wednesday 13 July 2022

Assault on New Candia City

Our second game the other day was a quick 10mm Sci Fi game. I've had a couple of games previously, so I certainly had the advantage. It was Bodvoc's first experience of this game, so we had fairly small forces with a variety of different troop types (previously I have used two identical forces).

Minis-wise we were using mostly my collection of old WizKids Mechwarrior - Age of Darkness minis.  These were sold in the traditional random box and were a variant of Battletech.  I was given a lot of them many years ago - tried the game once, and put them away.  However, they are ideal for this new game, once rebased.
The scenery is very much improvised (Yoghurt Pot City?), but I intend to greeble them up a bit and get some paint on them.  There is one card building from Dropzone I believe, that I was given at a show, and I have some resin cast bits, including the transmission station, that I bought many many years ago.

The scenario was an invasion.  My forces had to drive out the defenders, preferably as quickly as possible.  Apart from holding the city, Bodvoc had a transmission station (the small building in the centre) which he had to keep out of my hands.  We also were trying to destroy each others' HQ.
The attacking force had the better tech; the vehicles were faster than the norm, the infantry was armoured and they had a combat mech.  The defenders had managed to militarise a couple of industrial walkers, but the infantry was unarmoured.  They did have a couple of tanks with 'tank buster' guns though (which I came to dread as they seemed remarkably accurate against my large De Schmidt* tank).

The start of the battle, the defenders are holding back, hoping to drive off the invaders

Defenders

Attackers

The defenders take cover in the city as their opponents advance

At the end there are too few defenders to hold the city.

We had to finish after four turns, but it was clear that the defenders had lost the city, so Bodvoc decided a tactical withdrawal was wise.  I'm sure my familiarity with the rules gave me the edge though, and it was very much a tutorial game.

We both had fun, and Bodvoc left with a good handful of the minis so hopefully we will be trying this again.

* I don't know any of the Battletech background, or what the significance of the names is, but they are convenient labels.  I must come up with some new names though.

2 comments:

  1. It is a fun game and those mini's may come back to bite you!

    ReplyDelete