Monday 23 August 2021

D&D Campaign Heroes

Work continues (slowly) on the tavern, but in the meantime, here's something that I did quite a while ago.

When we finished the long running 4E campaign back in 2018 (see various posts starting here for more details), I presented the characters' minis to their respective players as a memento.
However, there seems to have been a mix up somewhere, and T'Other One found several of them in a box.
So before these finally go out to the players, here they are. 

Kathka (left) and Kathra (right)



Both these characters were run by the same player.  There was a complicated backstory involving reincarnation and twin sisters, but essentially it was a way of explaining a raise dead that tied in to the history.  I believe Kathra was actually a pre-generated character in the starter module.  The mini is simply one of the WotC pre-paints (Dwarf Shieldmaiden) with a better paint job.  The shield had a wolf on it (more reference to the character background) using a GW Space Wolf transfer.
Kathka is Freya Fangbreaker from Reaper.  I've since used Freya as Citronella in the first Teramarr campaign (see her here).  I replaced the shield with one made from plasti-card to match Kathra's shield, though I'd run out of Space wolf transfers unfortunately.  The axe was replaced with a sword from the Mantic Elf sprue to match a magic item the character used.

 Ozzie (left) and Tol Flemin (right)



Both Ozzie the often dead wizard and Tol the ranger were more WotC pre-paints.  I believe Ozzie started out as a Dragon cultist? I gave him the magical orb in his left hand, a greenstuff pouch at his right hip and a more appropriate paint job based on an earlier character mini but with darker tones.  This is the second iteration of Ozzie after multiple raise dead spells.  I'm not sure where the original mini (another WotC pre-paint) was but I recall he had a book  in one hand.
Tol is based on a Greycloak Ranger.  Much was made by his player of his stylish dress sense, and he loved feathered hats, the fancier the better.  I used the head of one of GW's Empire troops, probably the archers/handgunners box.  Otherwise the mini was simply repainted.

Looking back at these I wonder how they'd look if I were painting them now?  I remember being pleased with how the leaf camouflage came out on Tol's cloak.  I'd certainly use clear bases for one thing, and I'd varnish them too.  Tol doesn't have a five o'clock shadow, he's lost the paint on his chin.  

I don't have the mini for Switch, the halfling rogue, or Memnon, the tiefling cleric.  I know Switch's player took his mini, and T'Other One (Mem's player) provided his own minis.  Whilst it might be nice to assemble the party for a final photo, I can't see that happening.  It really deserves some sort of background and I don't have anything like that.

Althea

Finally, Althea, a shadow elf played between Kathra's death and eventual reincarnation as Kathka.
this is a WotC Drow wizard, and I'm including it just to show what the pre-paints look like with their original paint jobs.  Some are better than this, some worse, but they are pretty easy to repaint.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely character models, made all the better by your modelling extra detail onto them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Its good how attached to them the players became.

      Delete
  2. Aw, man. The memories. What great evenings. What great friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, fondly remembered and greatly missed*. As I said way back in the posts about the campaign, it was time to finish, but I'd love to do another (5E this time though)

      *That makes it sound like some of them died, not the case, we just don't all meet up anymore.

      Delete