Tuesday 3 November 2020

The Great Terrain Build Off- part six

I've finally finished the Bakehouse. I took longer than I thought, partly because I kept 'messing' with  it, hoping to improve it, but probably making it worse.

I did have a minor disaster when I gave the whole building a wash. This is a step I do as standard when making dungeon terrain, but for the bakehouse I think it made everything too dark, and killed the rather nice brownish tan I had.
Trial painted panels, I went for the one on the left

Still, a couple of drybrushes later and I don't think it looks too bad.  I also added some 'bits' to the base to reinforce the story behind it.   

The woodpile, very important for the bakehouse ovens.  Sticks dried and coated in PVA, then washed in Army Painter soft tone.  I also painted up an axe, but it's gone missing.

That chimney looks suitably impressive

Barrels of something important to the baking, or maybe just small beer for the baker.  Renedra barrels, with a poor join between the two halves.

Sacks of flour ready for use, kitchen towel with a suitable texture folded and soaked in water and PVA glue.

The least interesting angle of the building

The windows were painted black, then when all the rest of the painting, washing and drybrushing was finished, I carefully painted white between the glazing bars.  When everything was dry I used a tip from Merjin's Another Wargaming Blog, Citadel Soulstone Blue for the glass.  I haven't quite got this right, but I'm please with the results, and I'll certainly use this technique again in the future.
I added some moss made from old sawdust flock to the roof and washed some green ink along the edges of the timbers, anywhere where I felt dripping water would allow algae to grow.

If you think the idea of a bakehouse or bakery sounds a bit modern, they date back to at least early medieval times.  It was common practice to leave either flour or unbaked loaves to be baked.  Loaves or cakes would be marked, to identify them after baking.  This is why, in the nursery rhyme 'Pat-a-cake' the cake is marked with a 'B'. 

Well this was never really a competition, but I have enjoyed building this along with Merlin, and seeing how different they turned out. You can see his version here. I have thought what I want to build next, though I may do some very ordinary buildings to try something out first.

4 comments:

  1. The bakehouse looks great. I particularly like the effect in the windows and the sacks you made from scratch. Great job. Can't wait to see both builds together on the gaming table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking forward to that too. We are building quite a village between us.
      I've decided to keep it simple for the next build, stone huts. Useful for lots of games.

      Delete
  2. That looks superb.That blue works very well on the windows. And I love that chimney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll admit I originally wanted a cleaner look to the building, but I do like the finished result.
      I'll definitely be using Soulstone Blue again, and I believe they do other colours with a similar effect.

      Delete