Sunday 18 February 2024

More Crimson Fists

When I painted the first squad of Crimson Fists I mentioned that I was hunting for the missile launcher in the 'loft of shame '. Well there's been no sign of any more marines up there, so I was pretty much resigned to never completing them. They are available on evilbay, but they command very high prices, far above what I can currently justify.  So it looked like this project was at a dead end.

Discovery
Recently I was browsing a box of second hand minis in my FLGS* and found the following;


Three more partial RTB01 marines, including a missile launcher and a flamer (originally glued on to the arm of the newer metal marine bottom right). I've got plenty of the bits needed to complete them, so now I can assemble enough Crimson Fists for The Battle at the Farm. But I'll strip them first.

Stripping Plastic Minis
If you read my posts on stripping, I'm using Dettol as its far kinder to plastic.  Unlike the earlier trials I'm leaving the minis in the Dettol for several days, before dunking in washing up liquid for a day or two longer, then after scrubbing clean (and it gets the paint off very nicely), in Isopropanol, to make sure that all the Dettol etc is gone. 
I have heard that methylated spirit is also a good solution, but I've yet to try it. For now I'll stick to what I know.

Not More Marines?
Given my previous post discussing selling off minis, it may seem ironic talking about getting more. Well I have a double defence. I'll be sorting through Warhammer 40K stuff soon, and that means getting rid of a lot of the more modern Space Marines. Also this post was actually started some while ago, so the purchase of the above was long before the current cull and they are all stripped and cleaned up ready for assembly and painting.
These original RTB01 Space Marines are definite keepers for me, or at least, a tactical squad of them are. I may well sell off any surplus, though they are such fun to paint.


*Actually, one of three in Huddersfield, though it's my favourite.

2 comments:

  1. not going to lie the plastic Marines from the rogue trader era really cool, they're so simple and even the 2nd edition Marines from Jes Goodwin are awesome. miniatures from those two eras I think were the best. Marines now too much detail too much crap too much going on. imperial or chaos back then awesome.
    I was a death guard player and even the plague rings back then I'd rather have than the ones now I don't know why I like the simplicity of the miniatures back then compared to the ones now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. There's something about them that the later marines, for all the greater detail, lack.
      I'm slowly trying to replace some of my collection that I foolishly sold off or gave away many years ago.

      Delete